2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup minced onion
1 medium clove garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cups tomato juice
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon minced chipotle chile in adobo
2 tablespoons mild molasses or dark molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat butter in small nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until foaming; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and chili powder; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 20 seconds.
- Add tomato juice, 1/2 cup vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chipotle, molasses, and salt
- Increase heat to high and bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened and reduced to 1 1/2 cups, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in pepper and remaining 1/4 cup vinegar.
- Cool to room temperature before serving. If you want, you can run the sauce through a strainer to make it smooth.
(Can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 4 days; bring to room temperature before serving.)