from Cook’s Illustrated
Yorkshire pudding is a traditional accompaniment to Prime Rib and are usually made while the roast is resting. It’s pretty easy to make and it’s cool watching them puff up to their actual size.
Prepare the Yorkshire pudding batter after the roast has roasted for 1 hour, then, while the meat rests, add beef fat to the batter and get the puddings into the oven. While the puddings bake, complete the jus. An accurate oven temperature is key for properly risen puddings, so check your oven with an oven thermometer before making this recipe. Work quickly to fill the muffin tin with batter, and do not open the oven door during baking. Serves 12.
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups whole milk, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (7 1/2 ounces)
3/4 teaspoon table salt
3 tablespoons beef fat
- Whisk eggs and milk in large bowl until well combined, about 20 seconds.
- Whisk flour and salt in medium bowl and add to egg mixture
- Whisk quickly until flour is just incorporated and mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Cover batter with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
- After removing roast from oven, whisk 1 tablespoon of beef fat into batter until bubbly and smooth, about 30 seconds. Transfer batter to 1-quart liquid measuring cup or other pitcher.
- Measure 1/2 teaspoon of remaining 2 tablespoons beef fat into each cup of standard muffin pan.
- When roast is out of oven, increase temperature to 450 degrees and place pan in oven to heat for 3 minutes (fat will smoke).
- Working quickly, remove pan from oven, close oven door, and divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Immediately return pan to oven.
- Bake, without opening oven door, for 20 minutes
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake until deep golden brown, about 10 minutes longer.
- Remove pan from oven and pierce each pudding with skewer to release steam and prevent collapse. Using hands or dinner knife, lift each pudding out of tin and serve immediately.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Froot Loops Cereal Milk Philippine Ice Candy
- Tocino and Blue Potato Hash
- A Pie for Mikey…and Moses
- Thanksgiving Turkey with Kikkoman & the Sous Vide Supreme
- Tocino Sliders with Atsarang Mangga